Thursday, January 5, 2012

Defining Moments

Well today is my birthday. I won't hear anything from my brother, but that's okay because I know he loves me and is closer than I realize!
When I first found out that my brother died, I really thought it was the end! I didn't feel like I could go on. I felt like I was riding a emotional roller coster.

As I did a lot of studying the scriptures and praying to my Heavenly Father I knew it wasn't the end. It was just a bend on the path to eternal life. The experiences I am going through from dealing with the lose of my brother has helped me in more ways than I ever thought it would.

His death was a defining moment in my life. After it happened, my faith, the things I grew up being taught, what I beleived about everything was tested. Being a missionary I teach people what I believe, but in this moment I had to know without a doubt the things I was teaching others were true. Did I actually believe in the plan of salvation? Eternal families? That there was a prophet on earth guided by Heavenly Father? Did Jesus Christ really suffer for all of our pains, afflictions, sicknesses, temptations, and sin? Was my testimony sincere or had I just been saying what I had been told my whole life? Well I am here to say during this time I prayed and I read scriptures and by the power of the Holy Ghost, I know that Jesus Christ did suffer everything for us. There is a prophet here on earth that is guided by Heavenly Father. I do believe the plan of salvation and I know that families can be together for eternity. My testimony is sincere because I know these things are true. And through the experience of losing my brother, my testimony has strengthen even more because I have been able to testify of these things more and every time I do the spirit testifies to me that the things I say are in fact true! Losing my brother has been one of the hardest things I have had to go through, but my faith in Jesus Christ has helped me through it. Its an everyday thing, but as I continue to exercise my faith, my hope grows and I know I will see my brother again! This experience has only been made easier through the Atonement of Christ!

11: And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
12: And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.
13: Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.

No comments: