Sunday, April 29, 2012

Enabling Power of the Atonement of Christ

As I was reading an article I come across this quote:

“We knew before we were born that we were coming to the earth for bodies and experience and that we would have joys and sorrows, ease and pain, comforts and hardships, health and sickness, successes and disappointments. We knew also that after a period of life we would die.” -President Spencer W. Kimball 

Did I really agree to go through the trial of losing my brother? Yes, I did. And in the moments I think I didn't I remind myself of the choice I made to follow God's plan to come here to earth and go through things that will test my faith, cause me sorrow but also things that will bring me joy and strengthen my faith.


Has this trial of losing my brother tested my faith or caused me sorrow? Yes, quite a bit.
Has it brought me joy? Yes, because as I remember the good memories I had with him, and that I will see him again it brings joy to my heart.
Has it strengthened my faith? Yes, in fact it has.

How, well the answer is through the enabling power of the Atonement of Christ. Now what exactly is that? "The enabling power of the Atonement of Christ strengthens us to do things we could never do on our own." Can I just say how much I have learned that I need to depend upon the enabling power of the Atonement daily. Usually my harder days come because I stop relying on the Atonement and try to use my own strength. 

"As you and I come to understand and employ the enabling power of the Atonement in our personal lives, we will pray and seek for strength to change our circumstances rather than praying for our circumstances to be changed. We will become agents who "act" rather than objects that are "acted upon" (2 Nephi 2:14). -President Bednar


I've heard some people say time heals all wounds. I don't know if thats true or not, but I do know that we can have strength from the Lord as we humble ourselves and pray diligently for strength instead of a change in our circumstances. I know that the enabling power of the Atonement will give us the strength to endure to the end and return back to live with our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and our families.

I do believe that the bad days I still have, when I wish my brother would of never died, and I just want to give up that those days in time will be come less and less as I learn to depend upon the enabling power of the Atonement daily.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a heartache I am unqualified to speak to as I haven't experienced the pain of losing a family member. I can only send my deepest condolences in your hour of suffering and grief. I DO however, understand grief. I'm well acquainted. When one we know has passed away from this world, the only peace often that can be found (and I speak from my own experience) is in knowing they are with the Lord (we hope so very much) and that we are but parted for the time being. When I say this, I mean it Karen, may God wrap His loving arms around your spirit and comfort every fiber in you the aches and grieves. "...weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning." Psalm 30:5.

Karen said...

Thank you so much for you comment! I know that to be true! I know that I will see my brother again. I am so grateful for that and the hope it brings to me.