Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Finding comfort in losing a loved one

On September 9, 2011 I received a phone call from my mom and dad. A phone call from your parents shouldn't be an unusual thing, but as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Church it is. We only talk to our parents twice a year and email once a week and communicate through letters, reason being so we can stay focused on the Lord's work! So receiving a phone call was very unusual. At first they just asked how I was feeling, since they knew I had been pretty sick from having a bad gall bladder. Then they got to the point of why they called. They told me that my brother, Frank had passed away.
At first I wanted to respond with anger and yell and say that its not possible, but I couldn't because the Spirit of God comforted me to know that things will be ok.

The scripture  John 14:18
"I will not leave you acomfortless: I will bcome to you." 
has become very real to me since that moment I found out about my brother had passed away.

Don't get me wrong though, every day has been a struggle and I sometimes catch myself thinking about the things my brother will miss out on. In those moments I have to refocus on the faith that I have in my Savior, Jesus Christ and know that through Jesus Christ I can find comfort in losing a loved one.

Some of the ways I find comfort:
*Reading the Book of Mormon and Bible
*Serving others
*Teaching about Jesus Christ
*Obeying God's commandments

Mosiah 15:7-9, 20-23 reads:
Yea, even so he shall be led, acrucified, and slain, the bflesh becoming subject even unto death, the cwill of the Son being swallowed up in the will of the Father.
And thus God breaketh the abands of death, having gained the bvictory over death; giving the Son power to make cintercession for the children of men—
Having ascended into heaven, having the bowels of mercy; being filled with compassion towards the children of men; standing betwixt them and justice; having broken the bands of death, taken upon ahimself their iniquity and their transgressions, having redeemed them, and bsatisfied the demands of justice.
 20 But behold, the bands of death shall be broken, and the Son reigneth, and hath power over the dead; therefore, he bringeth to pass the resurrection of the dead.
21 And there cometh a resurrection, even a afirst resurrection; yea, even a resurrection of those that have been, and who are, and who shall be, even until the resurrection of Christ—for so shall he be called.
22 And now, the resurrection of all the prophets, and all those that have believed in their words, or all those that have kept the commandments of God, shall come forth in the first resurrection; therefore, they are the first resurrection.
23 They are raised to adwell with God who has redeemed them; thus they have eternal life through Christ, who has bbroken the bands of death.

I know because of The Atonement of Christ that all of us will live again!! I know that I will see my brother again and that I will be able to live with him and my family for eternity. I know that if I listen to the Prophet's words and follow the commandments of God that I will live with my Heavenly Father and my family. I know that my brother will live again and that I will see him again. I am human and so I know that I will at times feel sad and miss my brother, but because I know God's plan, I have hope. I know good things are to come here on earth and when I return back to my Heavenly Father.


 

1 comment:

Allie Patricia said...

My dad passed away a few years ago. Like you, it was a huge shock. I couldn't believe it when my mom told me the news. I wanted to just cry and cry. As time went one though I found ways to cope. One of them was the realization that I'll be able to see him again, and that he is free from all the pain he experienced on this life.

One thing that was also helpful was writing down memories I had with him. When I get really sad I like to think of his laugh or something he would tell me to make me happy: normally something that had to do like this "common hootchie momma, you can do it. " Or "I will always love you." We are so blessed to have the memories we do. I believe God lets us remember even more in those moments when we need them most. So rely on Him. Trust that God loves us and he doesn't want us to be miserable, but really joyous and happy. Satan in the author of misery, confusion and lies.

And lastly never forget the love around you. I was blessed to have so much support and love, and I know you do to. So count your blesses. And when the going gets tough, remember its okay to be sad, but with God's help you can be happy!

I LOVE YOU!